To parents at Orbost Early Education Centre and Bruthen Boorai Children’s Service

We have made the difficult decision that we will not reopen Orbost Early Education Centre and Bruthen Boorai Children’s Service next week, 13 January as planned.

We have taken this decision in association with the Department of Education and Local Emergency Management, based on a number of factors. These include ongoing Watch and Act alerts, worsening conditions later this week and the safety of road travel. We are also concerned about access to power and clean drinking water on site as well as the state of the building, equipment and playground.

We understand how important it is to the community to have the childcare and kindergarten services up and running as soon as possible.

We will keep this decision under review and let you know once there is agreement that it is safe to re-open the service. We are also considering what extra services we can source, such as psychosocial support, to be available when we do re-open.

Clearly, we will not be charging fees for the time the service is closed.

On behalf of everyone at Uniting, I’d like to convey our commitment to supporting this community through this difficult time. Please feel free to contact me or any of our local team if there is more we can do to support you.

Kind regards,

Silvia Alberti

Executive General Manager, Operations

Uniting Vic.Tas